More space for sport!
Adelaide Shores is very excited to announce that the first stage of the Adelaide Shores Master Plan has received funding from the State and Federal Governments as well as Football Federation of South Australia, Green Play Australia and Adelaide Shores.
This funding will allow for a $2.2 million expansion of the sports playing fields at Adelaide Shores' Barratt Reserve (along West Beach Road).
The project will include:
- a new synthetic playing field
- lighting for the new synthetic pitch and one other pitch
- new change facilities
- a kiosk for players and spectators.
The funding was announced by Federal Member for Hindmarsh, Mr Steve Georganas, on 4 July 2012. Mr Georganas was the key ambassador for this project at Federal Government level.
The new facilities will provide:
- a playing home for Adelaide's national league women's football team
- an event venue suitable for hosting significant lacrosse, rugby and football tournaments
- greater capacity so that more people can participate in the above sports and others such as touch football.
"Those already playing sport will have more opportunities, and the expanded, modern facilities will attract more to the great variety of sports offered here," Steve Georganas said.
Football Federation SA CEO Michael Carter said, "The expansion of football pitches at Adelaide Shores is a fantastic result for football in South Australia. Adelaide Shores is in a prime location and we are delighted to have an annual presence at a venue with multiple playing fields."
As Adelaide Shores' CEO Kate Williams said, this development will "further enhance Adelaide Shores' status as an iconic sport and recreation facility in our State".