Important tips for purchasing a used caravan
Buying a caravan can be quite an expensive purchase, which is why the same thought as buying a car needs to be put into picking your used caravan.
Not only is it important to pre-plan what type of caravan and features you would like, but you must also understand what areas to check to ensure you aren’t purchasing a ‘lemon’.
We have developed a few key ideas to consider before you buy.
1. What to take with you
- Notepad: This is to ensure that all details that are given to you when looking at the van are remembered in your decision making phase.
- Phone or Camera: Taking photos is the best way to remember certain parts of the van.
- A torch: This is to check areas that are a bit harder to see, eg: underneath the van.
2. Check all essential information
To make sure that you have all the information that you require, ensure that you ask these few questions:
- How old is the van?
- Has there been any troubles previously?
- Have you had it repaired in any way
- Did you buy this van brand new or used?
- Can you provide me details of its service history?
3. Check inside and outside thoroughly
- Is there any rust, dents or scratches?
- What condition are the tires and axels?
- Do doors and windows open, shut, lock and unlock properly
- Is all gas and electrical components in good working order?
- Do all appliances work?
- Is there any dampness?
Once you have seen the van, and determined whether it is in the right condition, you are able to make a well informed decision about your purchase.